It’s your first time out of the house and you have meat in the fridge for a week. You are on a budget and you are not sure if the meat is spoiled or not, but you don’t want to call anyone. Luckily, now there’s a weeksite you can use to be sure!
Eat By Date is a website that has all the necessary information about the average times’ food will become spoiled. The website also gives you the necessary information about the food that should be stored in the fridge or freezer after opening. Let’s see some examples:
- Tomatoes: Fresh Tomatoes can last 1 week in the counter or two weeks in the fridge. It will begin to go bad when turning soft or leaking liquid. Canned tomatoes (like tomato sauces) can last one year unopened but will only last seven days in the fridge, after opening;
- Yogurt will last about 7 days after their printed date. You can see the yogurt is going bad when the seal on top will be inflated;
- Bananas will last from 2 till 7 days after their purchase date. They will develop black stains when starting to get bad;
- Strawberries are really delicate! They only last about 1 day in the counter. You can put them in the fridge to get around 7 days, but it’s better to throw them away when they become soft;
- Bread from the coffee shop or grocery store only last around a day or two. After that, they start to have tiny white dots until they become moldy.
- Pizza from the restaurant or homemade lasts 3 to 5 days in the fridge. However, the more time it passes, the worse it tastes;
- Butter can be stored in the fridge or at the counter. It’s better to store it in the fridge to ensure it lasts until the printed date;
- Cookies can last around 7 to 10 days after opening the package. Oreos will be spoiled when they lose their crisp;
- Pasta Sauces needs to be stored in the fridge after opening, and it becomes spoiled 5 days after opening. If it has mold inside, it’s certainly spoiled;
- Beef only lasts one or two days after the print date. If it starts to smell, throw it away; But, after cooking, good beef alone can be stored till 5 days. Pork has almost the same rules;
- Wine has different rules for different types (red or white). After opening it needs to be stored in the fridge. White wine lasts only around one to three days and red wine lasts only one to three weeks. The cooking wine lasts around a month or two in the fridge. Boxed wine lasts longer;
- Pasta lasts around one or two years after date. After being cooked, they need to be stored in the fridge and should be eaten at around five days;
- Ham lasts around one or two weeks after the date when stored properly! After being opened, it lasts around a week. However, when it starts to look funny, it’s better to throw it out. It’s similar for deli meats;
- Pasteurized milk can last until a week after the expiration date. After opening, most packages tell you to not use milk after three days. However, it can be consumed after that. Just remember to throw it out when it has a discoloration, lumpy texture or smells bad.
Remember, when if doubt, it’s better to put the food in the garbage bin. It’s better you go out and spend more money on food, that to have food poisoning. Remember that you might not be at your home country, the hospital might be far away and the might not speak English.
Eating rotten food could give you a serious illness or even death. Eat healthy and be sure the food you are eating is not spoiled. Take into account that, when you put two different kinds of food (pasta and meat, for example) in the fridge, you need to see what is the easiest to get spoiled.